Wednesday, February 25, 2009

to tell, or not to tell...

Ray and I have had much discussion on baby names and whether or not to tell the baby name we have picked out before the baby is born. People just have strong opinions about these things like baby names and do we really want to know? We just aren't sure... Maybe the difference would be to say "our baby's name is ---" instead of "these are names we like/ are thinking". When I tell people that we aren't going to tell the name, many say "that is a good idea, someone will always say, Oh you can't name them that, i knew a girl in 2nd grade with that name and she was so mean" or something like that... So what to do... We have not totally nailed down a name yet, but are pretty strong on one, just not sure of the middle and last name combo.

My sister Allison was surprised we are thinking of not telling the name and said "I don't care if you name her Sassy just so long as I am Auntie Allison"...

So, my question is this- What do you think? Did you tell your baby name and wish you hadn't because of the feedback? Or, was it fine- once the name was set people just said wonderful things about the name you had chosen"

8 comments:

Michelle Burk said...

First, I am sooo excited you are having a girl! You will be great parents to a little girl! As far as names, it is your choice! Only yours and Rays! I can't save anything for a surprise and my husband is the same way. He always wants to blurt out my upcoming presents the moment he purchases them. If you can wait another 20 weeks before you blurt out her name, you are a stronger person then I. Good luck sweetie!

Kathryn said...

I said I wouldn't tell after my experience with the first one, but did. SO, if there is ever another one we will NOT tell!!!! So many names got thrown out the window because of people's comments. You'll never be able to please everyone and everyone has an opinion. Even though it's the parent's opinion that matters, you can't help but remember the comments.

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

We did not tell. With Katherine I would tell random people like a grocery store checker and I bounced middle names off my prenatal aerobics class because they did not know anyone else I knew. With Caroline we did not decide until 2 or 3 weeks before she was born so it was easy to keep it a secret then. Unless you want a ton of monogrammed stuff then it is fun to wait. I figured that we found out the sex so we kept the name a secret. If you are dying to share, pick one or two people who can keep a secret.

Alissa said...

Melissa- I couldn't keep it a secret with either of ours. I loved the names we chose and I wanted to tell people as soon as we decided. But I think it does add an element of fun, when people have to wait until the baby is born to find out.

For our next (if we have a third), I will tell people the names we've chosen, but we're probably not going to find out the sex until he/she is born. Dean thinks I am crazy! If we have a third boy, I think I'd just rather wait to find out until I am holding him in my arms! Then I won't be able to be disappointed!

kelli said...

Yay for little girls!! Congrats!
We have done it both ways and
I have to say, I like the secret method best. But be prepared to hear a lot of complaints from friends and family and stay strong:)

April said...

First of all - congrats!! :) Second of all, we were surprised with all of our kids for the sex, but when we did narrow names down for whichever it was going to be, I didn't mind telling people. Yeah, I got alot of personal anecdotes as to why a name would be a curse of all curses, but my feeling was that if I was going to carry it around 9 months, give birth to it, raise it, and be responsible for it, I get to name my child whatever in the fat world I wanted! If someone was overly adament about it, I would smile and calmly inform he/she that whenever they wanted to take on the resposibilty of having a child, then he/she could, in turn, name that child whatever they wanted. :) Good to see y'all are doing so well, and tell your folks and sisters I said "howdy"!
-april (connell) roche

Alissa said...

Hey Melissa,

You haven't posted in a while and I have been thinking about you. I realize that I don't have a new email address for you, so hopefully you'll get this. Hope you guys are doing okay. Love, Alissa

Melissa said...

April!
How fun to hear from you! I hear about you and your kiddos from Monie... i think both of your kids names are great- Brody and Abilene. So fun!