Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day

We decided about two weeks ago to grill out steaks at home for Valentine's Day. We have discovered that buying fillets and ribeyes from Readfield's (the local meat market) and using the Weber charcoal grill makes better steaks than the fanciest of steakhouses that we have been to. PERFECT! It is just hard to pay that much when they aren't as good as we make them at home! I also found this recipe for White Chocolate Raspberry Bread Pudding that I was going to make. But, it made a 9x13 which would take us forever to finish (and well, we shouldn't finish it). So, I called Don and Monie (basically our god parent's if we had some) and they joined us for Valentine's Day dinner. We had such a nice time and the steaks, crash hot potatoes and corn on the cob was wonderful... and do yourself a favor and make that bread pudding- amazing! For the leftovers I have not bothered with the white chocolate sauce and I think it is just as good without it. I also used fresh raspberries, because HEB didn't have any frozen ones- delish! Crash hot potatoes are now our go-to potato with steak- they are so good... actually I have always loved any Pioneer Woman recipe I have tried.

It was so nice to stay in on such a crowded restaurant day, I think we will make this a tradition. Ray and I will partake in our other yearly Valentine's poem tradition tonight. This was an idea from our pre-marital counselors... we write poems reflecting on the past year each year at Valentine's and it is so fun to look back (i have them in a red valentines scrapbook that I put together). Neither one of us are steller writers or poets by any means, but they are still fun (and pretty cheesy trying to rhyme). It is neat because we have one from every valentine's day we have been together since our first V-Day was after we were already engaged and in pre-marital counseling). It is a fun tradition that we hope to carry on with our kids once they are older...

1 comments:

Sara said...

Those potatoes look fantastic! I've added them to our menu for next week :)