Thursday, January 28, 2010

cloth diapering

This is mostly for my sister, who is interested in cloth diapering her little one coming in June... but I have wanted to blog about this and just show what I do and what I have so that non- cloth diaperers can see that these aren't our mama's cloth diapers.  It really is nice and easy!

Here are the diapers I have (bumGenius 3.0 One Size).  We have pretty much all white ones, which I love because you can't see them through clothes and they look nice under dresses:

*** added January 31***
I also have some Happy Heiney fitted diapers, but those never worked as good, we had lots of leaks (the lining likes to peek out from the cover) and didn't end up using them much at all.  I also bought two of the Fuzzi Bunz One Size Diapers which I like for the snaps instead of velcro, BUT they were not on sale when I needed to purchase more, cost more than the bumGenius, and they are harder to stuff with the inserts.  However, if these were the ones I had from the beginning I would love them as well- they are just different and take getting used to.  I also have some Hemp prefolds, snappis and some Happy Heiney covers that are definitely the economical way to go, BUT I never felt like the prefolds kept her as dry and had as much absorption.  So, they are mostly used as backups if we are behind on laundry.  Also, that option is not as "daddy friendly".
*********************
I use this sprayer that hooks up to the toilet to spray off the dirty diapers into the toilet... works SOSOSO good!
I have a spray bottle of water at her changing table and these cloth wipes that I just spray down and then wipe her.  These go in the diaper pail as well as the diapers.  They are the bumGenius Bamboo wipes.  We also have some we use as wash rags for the bath and they are perfect for that as well.
I have this diaper pail and it has just enough capacity that you are pretty much needing to wash diapers when it is full (we got ours from Babies R Us)
I have two of these pail liners (Wahmies pail liners) that you pull out of the pail and dump it and the diapers into the washing machine.
I use this laundry detergent for all of our laundry now.
I line dry the diapers, not the inserts and cut out some liners out of anti pill fleece that I just lay inside the diaper that keeps diaper cream from getting on the diaper when we have to use some and sometimes makes cleanups a bit easier. 

*** Added on January 31***
If you live in BCS, Cloud 9 Baby is a lovely store that carries the majority of the diapers and other products that I use and others.  The owner is VERY helpful and will spend as much time as you need explaining the different diapering systems.  ALSO, if you find diapers on sale, say at Cotton Babies, she will have them on for the same sale price in her store!
************************

5 comments:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

Yea for Cloth Diapers. Another product you will love now that you are eating solids are the flushable liners. They are so much easier than the fleece ones for when the poop gets more solid. Here are my favorites - http://peppermint.com/bummis-flush-liner.html

Where do you get your Charlie's Soap? I have wanted to try that and I see that it is for high efficiency machines which we need.

Alissa said...

One of my friends uses those same cloth diapers and loves them. It's so funny because when I was pregnant with Grant (only a little over 3 years ago) I never heard about anybody doing cloth diapering. So funny how baby products and trends change so fast.....

And I love the recent pictures of Claribel....she is so cute and is getting so big! What a fun hat Kelli sent!

Melissa said...

Alissa-
I actually was in a church group in Dallas with Christy (above comment) and several others that used cloth diapers and so I was exposed to it awhile ago (her oldest, Katherine is almost 4. I still definitely have people that look at me like i am CRAZY (which i know i am to some) and are thinking about prefolds and diaper pins and plastic pants like my mom used...

Jennifer said...

I looked into these same diapers a few months after Aislynn was born. I never got them but I think I will with the next one (whenever that may be). I have a couple of friends that both used them and just rave about them.

How often do you have to wash?

Melissa said...

jennifer-
As far as laundry goes, it depends on how many diapers you have and how many diapers your pail will hold. I would say for smell's sake, every 2 days. We usually end up washing every 1 1/2 days or so. If you line dry them, you have to factor in drying time into how many diapers you buy and how often you have to wash them. I personally have probably about 5 more than i NEED so that if we let them sit in the washer a bit or something we aren't without diapers. The pail we have holds about 1 1/2 days worth... I can definitely answer any other ?'s when that time comes around