Wednesday, August 26, 2009

first day back at work...

Today was my first day back at work part time... I had gone in a few times for an hour here and there, but this was my first day back on my 30 hour a week schedule. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be... i thought i would be on the verge of tears all day long... I am so thankful to have practically a perfect situation for me to feel comfortable and not have as hard of a time leaving my little baby bird. I initially wanted to work 20 hours a week, but to have health insurance (which was very important for us), I have to work 30 hours. The plan is to get to work around 8:35 or so and work until about 3 and then come home to wake up Claribel to eat. Maria (our WONDERFUL nanny) comes at 8:30 and wakes up Claribel to eat around 9, she takes another nap and then wakes her up to eat around noon (unless of course she wakes up on her own) and she leaves at 2 with C asleep in her crib. At first I was not waking her up, but I don't think she was getting enough feedings in... We will see what the Pediatrician has to say at her next appointment on the 11th.
What makes it so much easier for me is that Ray works from home and is here should anything happen, it also allows me to get that extra hour in after the nanny leaves. I may or may not go into the office on Fridays (if there is enough for me to do from home during naps during the week and on Friday) and Ray will keep her if needed on Fridays, since he is still not working Fridays.
I am so thankful to have such an amazing workplace with a flexible, amazing boss that is letting me decide what works best for my family. SO THANKFUL! I am so thankful that the Lord brought us back here to live, this flexibility would NOT be the case at my workplace in Dallas and I would have a really hard time working full time and not get to spend time with her during the day. I think for me the hardest part about full time in my job is how drained I am after the day/ week and I am afraid that I would feel like I didn't have much left to give to children.
So, this is a perfect solution for us. I came to the realization (when someone asked at work when I would resume full time work) that I might not ever. I would love to always be there after school when they get off and to have time to make dinner... it would also help me balance "me time" being able to get to the gym, etc. later on. Well, that is where I am... working, at home, thankful, and blessed!
The best part of my day was coming home to these two loves of my life!

2 comments:

Rebecca & Tucker said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your schedule, it does sound ideal! I'm also glad that you like the nanny! I've been praying for that. Thanks for all the pictures, so great!

Sara said...

What an ideal situation - yay for the best of both worlds :)